- Another in a long line of standout quarterbacks to emerge from the
Mid-American Conference in recent years, Frye is primed to follow in the footsteps of Marshall's Chad Pennington (New York Jets) and Byron Leftwich (Jacksonville) and Miami of Ohio's Ben Roethlisberger
- All-America Dream Team selection and the MAC's top player (Verne Smith
as a senior.
- Only the third quarterback in MAC history and the 16th in NCAA Division I-A
history to throw
for at least 2,000 yards in four consecutive seasons.
- His 11,049 passing yards rank third in MAC history and 15th in NCAA DI-A
- Frye will become just the 17th player from Akron to play in the NFL since
- He is the highest-drafted player from Akron since the AFL-NFL merger.
Previously, the highestdrafted
Zip was Miami Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Taylor, who was taken 73rd overall by the
Dolphins in 1997.
- The last player selected from the school was receiver Jake Schifino, who was
taken by the Titans
in the fifth round (151st overall) in 2002.
- Frye is the first player drafted by the Browns from Akron since tackle John Buddenberg was
selected in the 10th round of the 1989 draft. Prior to that, the most recent Akron selection by the
Browns was 16th round pick receiver Don Williams in 1967.
- Frye is seventh quarterback drafted by the Browns in the third round all-time.
Others include Eric
Zeier (Georgia, '95) and Mark Miller (Bowling Green, ‘78).
- Frye is the fourth quarterback drafted by the Browns in the team's new era.
The three others were
Luke McCown (fourth round, '04), Spergon Wynn (sixth round, '00) and Couch.